Sweetbread stew with Wittekerke
For 4 people:
1 to 2 pounds sweetbread
1 bottle of Wittekerke
7 oz. cream
2 stalks of leeks
4 strips of bacon
Noodles or rice
How to prepare:
1. Poach the sweetbread for 10 minutes in boiling water. Rinse in cold water and remove the skin and fat.
2. Chip the sweetbread in cubes of 1 inch and sauté in the butter until golden brown.
3. Peel a lemon and cut the peel in a “julienne” style (small strips of 1.5 inch).
4. Poach the julienne and rinse in cold water.
5. In the meantime quench the pan with beer and cream.
6. Slice the leeks in thin rings, the bacon in julienne.
Add them to the sauce, together with the lemon julienne. Add some lemon juice and reduce until the sauce is thick enough.
7. Serve with noodles or rice.
Tip: In order to cut bacon more easily, put it for a while in the freezer; once it is frozen, it will be easier for you to cut it with a sharp knife.
Recipe by Piet Huysentruyt
Source: "Lekker thuis:
de lekkerste recepten van Piet en Mimi"
Famous Television Cook in Belgium
(1 star Michelin Guide)